Our mission and vision
The Netherlands Authority for Consumers and Markets (ACM) contributes to realizing a healthy economy by ensuring that markets work well for people and businesses. When markets function well, businesses compete fairly with one another, and people and businesses are not harmed by unfair practices. People and businesses know what rules apply, and how they are able to exercise their rights.
We make markets work well by:
- Enforcing the rules for free and regulated markets, and by promoting compliance with those rules;
- Providing information and guidance so that everyone knows these rules, and is able to exercise their rights;
- Regulating the energy, telecommunications, transport, and postal markets in order to safeguard affordability, quality, continuity, and accessibility in these markets.
In addition, we give advice to the Dutch legislature to improve rules and regulations if we believe that markets will function better as a result.
We want our limited resources to have maximum impact. That is why we need to decide which problems take priority. In that decision-making process, we look at three questions:
- What is the economic harm?
- What is the importance of the problem to society?
- What is the best possible solution?