ACM launches campaign on consumer rights: you have more rights than you think
Each day, the Netherlands Authority for Consumers and Markets (ACM) through its consumer portal ACM ConsuWijzer receives reports and questions from consumers about their rights. Each year, ACM has approximately 73,000 conversations with consumers. These conservations reveal that they almost always have more rights than they had previously thought. That is why ACM today launches the campaign ‘You have more rights than you think’. ACM ConsuWijzer will target youth via social media, using short videos in which the most important consumer rights are highlighted, such as warranties and the cooling-off period.
Edwin van Houten, Director of ACM’s Consumer Department, adds: ‘It is a real shame if you as a consumer are not aware of your rights. In some cases, you can still cancel your purchase, and that can save you a lot of money. With this campaign, we want to make youth think about this. If you check with ACM ConsuWijzer what your rights are, you will find out that you often have more rights than you think.’
‘You have more rights than you think’ campaign
The reports filed with ACM ConsuWijzer show that consumers often purchase something without knowing what rights they have if something goes wrong. For example, you can miss out on money, because you did not know that you can still cancel a product, or you can have the product fixed for free. That is why it is useful to know a number of basic consumer rights, because you often have more rights than you think.
In three short videos shared on social media, we explain to youth what their rights are in the following situations:
- Are you not satisfied with your online purchase? In most cases, you have a cooling-off period of 14 days. Since you did not get the chance to look at, touch, or test your order, you have the right to get your money back, even if the product was on sale, and also if you purchased the product from a company through a social media platform.
- Was the product broken when you received it? Then you are entitled to a replacement product. For free! Because you do not have to pay for something that is not your fault.
- Did the product break down shortly after you received it? And it was not your own fault? Then the seller has to solve this problem for you. So, the seller either has to repair the product or give you a refund, because you are entitled to a product that works properly, and, in most cases, even after the warranty has expired.
In short: you have more rights than you think. Are you not sure about your situation? Check it for free on ACM ConsuWijzer.
- Visit the campaign page, and watch the videos on ACM ConsuWijzer
- Download the campaign materials
- 7 myths about consumer rights (In Dutch)
About ACM ConsuWijzer
ACM ConsuWijzer is the central government’s consumer information portal. Do you have a question about your rights as a consumer? We will answer your question for free on our website, social media, or over the phone. We will explain what your rights are, and how you can resolve a situation yourself.